The Art of Social Media!
Updated: Sep 25, 2019
What is Social Media?
Social media refers to the means of interactions among people in which they create, share, and/or exchange information and ideas in virtual communities and networks.
Social media has the following characteristics:
• Involves an extensive variety of content formats including text, video, photographs, audio, PDF and PowerPoint. • Allows interactions to cross one or more platforms through social sharing, email, and feeds. • Encompasses different levels of engagement by participants who can create, comment or be on the lookout on social media networks. • Facilitates enhanced speed and breadth of information dissemination. • Provides for one-to-one, one-to-many and many-to-many communications. • Enables communication to take place in real time or asynchronously over time. • The device is indifferent. It can take place via a computer, tablet or smartphone. • Extends engagement by creating real-time online events, extending online interactions offline, or augmenting live events online.
Popular Social Media Tools and Platforms:
• Blogs: A platform for casual dialogue and discussions on a specific topic or opinion.
• Facebook: The world’s largest social network, with more than 2.2 billion monthly active users. Users create a personal profile, add other users as friends, and exchange messages, including status updates. Brands create pages and Facebook users can “like” brands’ pages.
• Twitter: A social networking/micro-blogging platform that allows groups and individuals to stay connected through the exchange of short status messages (140 character limit).
• YouTube & Vimeo: Video hosting and watching websites.
• Flickr: An image and video hosting website and online community. Photos can be shared on Facebook and Twitter and other social networking sites.
• Instagram: A free photo and video sharing app that allows users to apply digital filters, frames and special effects to their photos and then share them on a variety of social networking sites.
• Snapchat: A mobile app that lets users send photos and videos to friends or to their “story.” Snaps disappear after viewing or after 24 hours.
• LinkedIn Groups: A place where groups of professionals with similar areas of interest can share information and participate in conversations.